Brides, I know you love the birdcage look (yes, that net thing you wear over your face), but you think, "Can I really pull off that look?" The answer is Yes! You CAN wear a birdcage veil with your wedding dress as long as it "goes" with your dress, hair, and other accessories.
Often these trendy headpieces are worn with vintage-inspired gowns. But we've seen them look fantastic with our mermaid point d'spirit wedding gown that is anything but old looking. They look great, too, with simple wedding dresses that don't have a lot of embellishment, such as beading and applique. But a quick Google search for birdcage veil photos reveals that they actually go with almost everything–from elegant ball gowns to tea length dresses.
Here's one we carry with a flower:
So, how do you wear them? Here are some options to consider:
- Over the face, usually at an angle (start at one temple, cross down over the face, to nose, mouth or even chin level)
- Over one eye or even just over side-swept bangs
- Over both eyes (usually straight across, like bangs)
- On the top of the head, like a hat
- Covering a bun or part of the updo
- Hanging down the back of the head, like a veil
- As part of the updo decoration, attached to a comb, feather or flower
And yes, sometimes they look a little awkward to get to fit you, but here's why they are so great: you can totally customize them! You can cut them, bunch them, tack them, stitch them, you can buy plain ones (our plain birdcage veils are just $19!) and add you own feathers, sparkles, flowers and more. You can even take it off for the reception (this is a great option if your birdcage veil can be separated from the embellishment on it).
As with veils, I always tell our brides that they need to at least try it before deciding they don't want one. So if you have an interest, or just think you like the look but couldn't possibly pull it off yourself, I say give it a shot! You don't know until you try, and we're happy to help you check out your birdcage veil options!